Kitchen Countertops: Quartz vs. Granite
So, you’re going to upgrade your kitchen countertops. If you’ve started your research, you’ve probably come to a crossroads: granite or quartz (more accurately, engineered quartz)? To find the answer, you’ve come to the right place! We are kitchen countertop experts and in this blog we’ll review some of the characteristics that make each choice unique. It’s a kitchen countertop competition!
Round one: It’s between granite and quartz for your kitchen countertops. Who’s the tree-hugger?
- Granite: It’s formed deep in the earth’s crust, by natural forces. Granite is the result of magma cooling between rocks, and compacting under immense pressure and heat. It is exhumed, polished, cut and delivered to your home.
- Quartz: It does form naturally, however the quartz that would be installed in your home is an engineered stone. This means that it is made up of crushed quartz, and has epoxy resins added to bind the quartz together.
Round two: Between granite and quartz, which one would spend more time getting ready for a date?
- Granite: Due to granite’s composition, it has small spaces between minerals that need to be periodically maintained. This means resealing your granite countertops every 1-4 years depending on how frequently you use your counters. If you frequently dine out, you may only need to reseal once every 4 years. Granite is a durable material that is very scratch and chip resistant.
- Quartz: Due to the way quartz is engineered, it is virtually maintenance-free. The epoxy resins fill the voids between the quartz crystals making the countertops nonporous, and never in need of sealing. Quartz is every bit as scratch and chip resistant as granite.
Round three: Mirror, mirror on the wall, is granite or quartz the fairest natural stone of them all?
- Granite: It comes in almost any color you can think of, sure to match any home’s décor! Granite’s natural, mineral make-up is intriguing to the eye.
- Quartz: It is available in an assortment of fun patterns! Quartz gives you the opportunity to be bold and make a statement with your new kitchen countertops.
We have a tie! At the end of the day, it’s up to you and your personal preferences. You have to decide for yourself which kitchen countertop material is best for your home and lifestyle. We, at Northstar Granite Tops, are thrilled to help guide you through this exciting time in your life. We have experts eager to answer your questions and help you make a decision about the perfect kitchen countertops for you!
Do you live in the Minneapolis/ St Paul metro area? If so, then call us to get started at 320-963-8677 or Click Here to Receive a Free Quote!