If you just had a new granite countertop installed in your Twin Cities home, you might be wondering what you can do to make sure it stays looking good for years to come. Daily cleaning is one of the best ways to maintain your granite countertop, but you want to be sure you use the right cleaners and don’t inadvertently damage your counters or the finish. Here are a few suggestions on how to keep them clean without damaging.
- Before we install your granite countertop, we will seal it. This sealant will last for a long time: possibly even for as long as you have the counters. Some types of granite will need to be resealed on occasion though. We will talk to you more about the type of granite you have and when you should look into having it resealed. But a good way to test your granite counters is to put a drop of water on them. If the water beads up, then the sealant is fine. If the water is absorbed into the granite, then it is time to look into having them resealed.
- When it is time to clean your granite countertop, all you need is warm water and a soft, clean cloth. You can use a mild soap if you want to. Never use Windex or other acidic cleaning chemicals, and do not use anything with vinegar, lemon, lime, ammonia or bleach. All of these can damage your countertop’s finish.
- Along the same lines, do not use abrasive sponges on your granite counters either.
- You do not have to worry about disinfecting your granite countertop. Granite is naturally bacteria resistant.
- If something is spilled on your granite countertop, be sure to wipe up that spill as soon as possible, especially if you spill a dark liquid like red wine.
- If you need to paint or glue something, do not do it on your granite countertop. Even putting newspaper on top of them cannot ensure that the paint or glue will not get on your counters. While you might be able to clean up the paint or glue if you spill it on your countertops, there is no guarantee it won’t permanently damage your counters. It is better to err on the side of caution.
Would you like to learn more about having a granite countertop installed in your Twin Cities home? Call Northstar Granite Tops at 320-963-8677, or you can contact us and get a Free Estimate.