Granite is highly durable and not very susceptible to damage or staining. Your countertops undergo constant use, so it’s important to reseal them to ensure they retain their original condition. Luckily, it’s very easy to seal your stone.
For homeowners in all of our service areas, including Minneapolis, Edina and Chaska, granite countertops add something special to their home. Keeping them in stellar shape does require a bit of effort, but thankfully, the sealing process is very simple to do.
Sealing Granite Countertops
- Before you begin sealing, remove all items from your counters, as this will make the process much easier.
- Remember to regularly seal your granite countertops, as this will safeguard your counters against stains and other types of damage. If you find water isn’t beading on top of the stone but is sinking into it, then it’s time to seal your countertops. Many home improvement stores sell various types of sealers.
- When you buy a granite countertop sealer, remember to buy one that is not abrasive. An abrasive product could leave behind damages, like scratches, stains, etc.
- It’s best to reseal your granite countertops every one to four years.
- If you’re wondering whether it’s time to reseal your countertops, a great way to tell is to take hot tap water (about 1/8 cup), and put it on your countertops to the left or right of your sink. If you notice a darker spot on the counters, then the water is being absorbed into the counters and they should be resealed ASAP.
Are you having trouble keeping your granite countertops in the best condition? Give us a call now at 320-963-8677 to learn more!